Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"God's Plan for Sex" - This Sunday!

After some thought, I have decided to have this Sunday's lunch & Bible study at the church building. We'll have lunch after our regular Bible class ($3 per teen) and then we'll kick off our new monthly Bible study, "God's Plan for Sex." Pick up time will be at 2:30 at the building.

I want to communicate a few things to you parents about this study. I am excited and a little nervous to start this study. Nervous because I truly want it to be a powerful and important experience for your teens. I have been studying and collecting material on the topic of sex and continue to be convincted about God's plan for sex. I think this will probably be one of THE most important studies I've done with the kids while I have been youth minister. It's looking like this is going to be a 4-part study (so we'll have 1 lesson per month). And for one lesson in particular (probably the 3rd one) I'm looking to split the boys and girls into separate groups with separate locations.

The resources I have been studying and will be drawing from for this study are:
"The Power of Sex: Helping Students Understand God's Plan for Sex" by Doug Fields
"Sex & Dating: A Bible Study for Youth Groups" by Michael and Hayley Dimarco
"Good Sex: A Whole-Person Approach to Teenage Sexuality and God" by Jim Hancock & Kara Eckmann Powell

I wanted to share this with you because this is not a subject I am treating lightly. I hope you will strongly encourage your teen to attend and will discuss with your teen what is talked about and presented. When I was growing up I felt like I had a great relationship with my parents and remember talking very openly with my father about sex. That being said - there were still certain questions that I had that for whatever reason I felt uncomfortable about going to my own father with first. I thank God for my youth minister (Steve Smith!) and that I had a Godly mentor with whom I could ask those questions.

1 comment:

Big Sky LLC said...

Hi,
i have seen a very informative post. i really like this post. This post gives to us very good knowledge about church building , church building construction. This is a very great post.

Thank you,