Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy New Year!

I'm about four days late with this entry, but I wanted to wish everyone at the Redlands Church of Christ and every member of our youth group a very happy new year. I'm very excited about 2008 and what God is going to do with our youth group and with our church. I'm making it a resolution of mine to use this blog more. Besides updates, calendar events, and recaps on our events (complete with pictures) I'm hoping to add some spiritual reflections, Biblical thoughts, and Christian discussion questions. I encourage any reader of this blog to post responses and/or suggestions.

We have two big events coming up: our first activity for 2008 is this coming Friday night, January 11th at the building. We will have a night of spiritual planning and fun. We’ll reflect on 2007 and set goals for 2008. I want you to be there – so that you can help us plan for the future, as well as set personal spiritual challenges for yourself. Start time is 6:00 p.m.

The second event is the Winter retreat which is currently scheduled for February 8-10th. I cannot stress the importance of this event - we'll establish our theme for the year as well as dig deep into the Bible. We'll also have some great entertainment and fun. THIS will definitely be an event to clear the calendar for. You can miss an athletic event for this one and you can skip a school activity. We only have a retreat like this once a year - I want you there and am praying that every one of our teens will commit to attend this event. Please let me know if you can come ASAP.

In closing, let me leave you with this verse from 1 John 3:18: "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." I love this verse and wanted to use it in my first blog entry for 2008 because it is a challenge for every Christian and should be our calling as members of a church & youth group. God does not just want us to say we love each other, but he call us to actual genuine deeds and works of kindness. HE's pushing us beyond our comfort zone, to a higher form of love. This will be one of our focal points for this year - to go beyond just hanging out on Sundays and at youth events, and to truly care for each other through selfless giving and putting the needs of others above our own needs.

No comments: